Sunday, May 31, 2015

Portillo's Chopped Salad {recipe}

Ohmigoodness. This salad. It was so very yummy. We ate EVERY bite. Chris looked at me in the middle of dinner and said "This needs to go in our 2 week meal rotation." The kids devoured it. And we have talked about it a few times since.
I found the recipe on The Girl Who Ate Everything's website via Pinterest. And her picture looks SO much better than mine, see?
I hadn't heard Portillo's before and I found out, funny enough, that there is a Portillo's just 20 minutes from my parent's house in So. Cal! I should have been enjoying this salad for years and I've been missing out.
The dressing is phenomenal. Seriously. I usually use less dressing than what a recipe calls for, but we used every. drop. So don't skimp on that part.

Portillo's Chopped Salad
{see original recipe at The Girl Who Ate Everything}
3 cups romaine lettuce, chopped
3 cups iceberg lettuce, chopped
2-1/2 cups red cabbage, chopped
2 tomatoes, seeded and diced
1 cup green onions, sliced
4 oz gorgonzola cheese, crumbled
1 cup bacon, cooked and crumbled (I used packaged bacon bits)
4 cups Ditalini pasta, cooked per package directions and cooled

Instructions:
Toss romaine, iceberg and red cabbage, tomatoes and green onion in a large bowl. Right before serving, add cooled pasta, bacon, gorgonzola and dressing and toss to coat.

Sweet Italian Dressing
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
1 teaspoon crushed garlic (2 cloves)
1 teaspoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)

Place first 6 ingredients in a large cup. Blend with an immersion blender. Continue to blend and slowly pour in EVOO until combined.
~

6 comments:

  1. This salad looks DELISH! I just hosted a shower this past weekend and needed a pasta salad recipe! Wish I would have found this last week! Can't wait to try it out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This would have been a hit at a shower. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. Gotta love a fresh salad, especially now that it's spring and summer is upon us!

    Thanks for sharing your recipe at Tuesday Talk!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And its SO very easy to throw together, especially if you cheat (like I did) and use bacon bits. =)

      Delete
  3. That sounds delicious! Thanks so much for sharing at Waiting on...Wednesday!

    Holly @ www.iwillservewhileiwait.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I love reading and responding to each one!