Thursday, November 13, 2014

Chuy's Chicken Tortilla Soup Revisited {recipe}


A long time ago, I posted a link to a copy cat version of Chuy's Chicken Tortilla Soup. I made it again last night and it is SO good, but the original recipes makes a TON of soup and the directions aren't complete.  So here's my adaptation of it:

Chuy's Chicken Tortilla Soup {Copy Cat}
Serves 6
3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
2 tbsp olive oil
1 medium white onion, chopped
1 cup chopped carrot
1 cup chopped celery
8 cups chicken broth
2 Roma tomatoes, diced
1/2 cup frozen corn
1/2 tbsp lime juice
1/2 tsp pepper
2 oz diced green chilies *Update - I use the whole 4 oz can all the time now.*
1 cup chopped cilantro
1 avocado, chopped


Mexican blend shredded cheese
tortilla chips


Directions:
Season chicken with salt and pepper and cook over medium-high heat until cooked through. Shred.
Heat olive oil in a large soup pot. Add onion, carrot & celery in oil and sauté until onion is translucent. Add broth and bring to a boil. 
Turn heat to medium then add chicken, green chilies, corn tomatoes, lime juice, cilantro, avocado and pepper. Simmer for 20 to 30 minutes.
Ladle soup into bowls and top with shredded cheese, crushed tortilla chips and a sprig of cilantro.

12 comments:

  1. I can't wait to try this! Thank you for the adjustments. I've been scouring my search results for a version that looked simple and healthy. This looks great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lauri! I hope you enjoy it as much as we do...

      Delete
  2. I am trying this tonight, thanks for posting

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am trying this tonight, thanks for posting

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ok, I NEVER comment on recipe blog boards. But, I feel it was totally necessary to let you know how AMAZING this recipe is!!!! Totally better than Chuy’s! I also used the 4 ounce container of green chilies. I ran out of broth, so for the last 4 cups I used my Penzeys chicken base and water. This soup is SO good! Thank you for posting!!! I’m so happy I found it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks delicious I cant wait to try. BTW you have the cutest little humans! What a beautiful family!

    ReplyDelete
  7. SOOOO HAPPYI FOUND THIS! I LOVE CHUYS SOUP ALL YEAR AROUND!!! I MADE A HUGE POT FOR THE FREEZER SO THAT WHEN I AM SICK I CAN THAW IT OUT INSTEAD OF PAYING 30,000 DOLLARS FOR UBER EATS !

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is my go to recipe for soup! I add more seasoning like onion powder garlic powder and paprika yum

    ReplyDelete
  9. Made this tonight. Big hit! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the recipe and make it all the time now.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I love reading and responding to each one!