Monday, November 7, 2016

My Dad's Memorial Service

David G. McNutt 
Feb 1, 1940 - November 3, 2016
~
My dad passed away at 11:24 pm on November 3, 2016. 
Acts 11:24 says:
"He was a good man, full of the Holy Spirit and faith, and a great number of people were brought to the Lord."
That verse could not have described my dad any better. He saw people through God's eyes, and just loved them.  He always had a smile, a hug, and a million questions for anyone he came into contact with.  My dad was able to lead many people to an eternal relationship with Jesus.
~
My cousin, Tawnya, wore this awesome shirt with THE BEST picture of my dad on it.  He was known for that crazy face.
~
The service started about 15 minutes late because so many people that I haven't seen in ages were coming and hugging me and my family.  It was amazing.  There were about 900 people in attendance.  They also live streamed the service for people who couldn't attend.
~
The service started and I remember thinking "This is really happening!  I'm really sitting at my dad's memorial service."  It was one of the hardest things I have had to realize was true.
Barry Meguiar spoke.
My sister, Davese, shared and she did such a great job.
And Chris spoke too!
And my cousin Frank played the trumpet.
If you want to watch the memorial you can by clicking here:
They couldn't livestream the last song, "Whitney Houston's I Wanna Dance with Somebody". But my cousin Facebook Lived the end:
~
After the service more and more people came up to say hello and give hugs.  I decided that in order not to cry all night that I would take selfies with the people. 
Plus?  I have a bunch of pictures of people that were there.  
Minus?  I'm in every  picture.
~
Tony {my best friend in high school} and his fiance, Sue.
Sheeba {friend from jr. high/high school} flew in from Canada!
Becky {my best friend from 2nd grade!} and her husband, Derek.
Paul, Wendy & Ed {all high school friends} but I've known Ed all my life.
Mr. & Mrs. Valuet {he was my high school sophmore year Bible pastor}
Melody {their daughter} and Olga, whom we went to high school together.
Lori Fenn, friend from Anaheim Vineyard.
Mr. & Mrs. Mathews {Sheeba's parents}.
Stephanie Shurance {high school friend}.
Lisa Ehret, friend from Anaheim Vineyard.
Brenda Nederhood, my friend Amy from high school's mom.
Itsy and Uncle Barry.  Friends of the family from before I was born {and no, he's not really my uncle!}
Angie and Love Allen, friends of the family {from before I was born!}
My cousin, Stan.
Kathleen Lu, friend from high school who is now part of my sister's church family.
Mrs. Gercio, one of my substitute teachers and friend from Anaheim Vineyard.
Mr. & Mrs. Weidler, long time friends of the family.  And that's my sister, Jeannine.
Cheryl Jackson, from Anaheim Vineyard.  She is an AMAZING woman who mentored me during my late teens/early 20's.
Eddie Espinosa, long time friends of the family.  He lead worship {with his wife} for the service.
After the service, we headed for a late night In-n-Out run.
So as my dad would say...  Do you know Jesus?  Do you know that he loves you desperately...and right where you are?  You don't have to have it all together to give your life to Christ.  You just have to be willing to surrender everything and let Him love you.  I made that choice years ago... to follow Christ and I am so glad I did.  I would not be able to make it through these incredibly hard times without God carrying me through.  
His grace is enough.  
I know when I get to heaven, my dad will be waiting for me... with his huge smile and his arms wide open waiting to give me a hug.
Until then, I will miss him so much.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I love reading and responding to each one!