Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Ice Cream Cake

We (Chris and I) attempted our first ice cream cake for Payton's birthday. We didn't do it the "correct" way, but it turned out yummy and great all the same. I thought I would share it with you.


First, I found a recipe from Joy the Baker's website. (Yes, I know ours doesn't look as pretty as hers and my pictures aren't great, but you get the point.)


The day before the party we took 2 boxes of strawberry (Payton's choice) cake mix and made them per the directions. BUT we had to improvise a little... My in-laws only had 3 different sizes of cheesecake pans. So I made one cake mix in the largest pan {forgot about it in the oven and went outside - so THAT one got a little done}, let it cool a bit, took the cake out of the pan, put it on the cake plate and stuck it in the freezer. Then I washed the pan and started again for the second cake {this time I remembered it!}. After it was done, I cooled the cake and then put the WHOLE thing (in the cheesecake pan) in the freezer.


The morning of the party, first thing, we pulled out the ice cream (artesian vanilla bean) for a few minutes to let it get soft. We packed the ice cream on top of the cake still in the pan and made it flush at the top. Then stuck it back in the freezer for a few more hours.


Then I made the Whipped Cream Frosting just like Joy the Baker's directions.


Undid the spring on the cake pan and ta-da perfect (well almost) flush sides of the ice cream and cake! We put the additional layer of cake on top of the frozen ice cream, then flipped it back onto the cake pan. Plopped the whipped cream frosting on top and started to frost the cake. {THEN I thought of taking pictures...}

Stuck it BACK in the freezer for a few hours until ready to eat.
We sliced strawberries to line the top perimeter of the cake and Chris placed the candles to make a #3.

Payton thought it was beautiful (or maybe she just saw SUGAR!).

This is how it looked on the inside.

Payton loved it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I love reading and responding to each one!