Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Cranberry Almond Snack Mix {recipe}

As you know, Chris recently got diagnosed with diabetes. I've been super good about not buying sugar and sweets that he can't have, and moving the things we already had out of view. I don't need to tempt him and make this transition harder on him. He's got great will power but it also helps to have someone on your side supporting you.
That being said, I still have a sweet tooth. I'm working on it (and I didn't realize how bad it really was), but sometimes I just want something sweet!
I have been carrying a small bag of raw almonds around with me to snack on and then added some Craisins and some chocolate chunks. It was awesome. A little healthy and a little sweet - perfect. Then I had a genius idea (yes, I'm patting myself on the back) - Cranberry Almond Snack Mix. 5 ingredients and less then 10 minutes later I had this yummy goodness:
Cranberry Almond Snack Mix

Mini Pretzel Twists
Raw Almonds (whole)
Dried Cranberries
Semi Sweet Chocolate Chips
Coconut Oil

(1) Spread out a single layer of pretzels on a baking sheet.
(2) Sprinkle almonds and cranberries on top of the pretzels.
(3) Microwave chocolate chips and coconut oil in a small bowl stirring every 30 seconds until melted. *I used 1/4 cup chocolate chips and 1/2 teaspoon coconut oil approx.
(4) Drizzle melted chocolate all over the top of the pretzel/almond/cranberry layer.
(5) Refrigerate until hardened.
(6) Break into pieces and store in an airtight container - way back in the bottom shelf of the refrigerator so your diabetic husband can't see them. =)

2 comments:

  1. What a great snack mix! I love the cranberry and chocolate combo. I'll have to make a batch of this soon. Pinned, thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Andi! Hopefully you like it as much as I do!

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I love reading and responding to each one!