Friday, January 6, 2012

67 Calorie Lemon Bars {recipe}


Yes, seriously...  67 calories of yummy, yummy goodness.  I was craving lemon bars today (thank you baby belly!) and my regular go-to recipe calls for 1 CUP of butter.  Since I have been baking/making/eating a LOT of treats lately {caramel brownies, caramel, ice cream, etc}, I decided to make a healthy version from an old recipe that I had printed in 2003 from FoodFit.com.  I forgot how good they are.  And the best part???  Since there is only 3 tablespoons of butter (vs. 1 cup), TWO of them are less than 150 calories!  {Hummm should I disclose that I ate 4 of them tonight???  Don't judge - I'm pregnant!}

Ready to try them?  Here you go:

Lemon Bars
(adapted a tiny bit from FoodFit.com)
Makes 16 bars

1/4 cup powdered sugar
3 tablespoons butter, softened
1/2 cup flour

3 large eggs
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
3 tablespoons flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/8 teaspoon salt


confectioners' sugar, for dusting


1. Preheat the oven to 350ºF.
2. Mix together 1/4 cup of powdered sugar and butter.
3. Add 1/2 cup of flour and mix until it is crumbly. Press the mixture into the bottom of an 8-inch square baking pan.
4. Bake until golden brown, about 10 to 12 minutes. Lower the oven temperature to 325ºF.
5. Whisk the eggs until foamy. Add the sugar, lemon juice, 3 tablespoons of flour, baking powder and salt and combine.
6. Pour the mixture over the baked crust and bake until set, about 20 to 25 minutes. Cool on a wire rack.
7. Cut into 16 squares and dust with powdered sugar.

Calories per square: 67
Fat grams per square: 2


Linking up at: 
five days five ways | feature friday free for all 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I love reading and responding to each one!