Monday, February 25, 2013

Homemade Cheez-Its {recipe}


I'm a Cheez-It addict.
There, I admitted it.
Don't leave me unattended with a box of them, cause they will disappear . . . way too quickly.
So of course, when I came across a "Homemade Cheez-It" pin on Pinterest, I knew I had to make it.
And with last week being Winter Break (part 2).  It was the perfect thing to do with the kids.
This is a super easy recipe.  The only thing that took a little bit of time was transferring the squares to the pan.
You will have to try it, at least once!

Start with shredded cheese in a food processor (I used the awesome Ninja).

Add some butter.

Then flour and salt.

Then start pulsing.  I though I had messed it up at this point, but didn't - whew!

Keep pulsing.
See?  It's coming together.

Keep pulsing.
Bigger chunks.

And finally a ball.

Dylan wanted to point to it while I took a picture. =)

It was about a total of a minute of pulsing and we had our ball of dough.

We rolled it out between 2 pieces of wax paper and cut it into little squares.

Then we poked holes in the center of each square and transferred them to a cookie sheet.
Sprinkled each with Kosher Salt.

And baked them.

This batch not as long.
Definitely watch them the last 3 minutes, they brown quickly.

Yummy!

Verdict?  Very fun.  Worth doing.  And yummy.  Dylan said they were the best.
We will be making them again.  But they still won't take the place of my box of Cheez-Its.
Now that I know how easy it is to make crackers, I will try out some others!

Homemade Cheez-Its
6 oz shredded sharp cheddar cheese
4 tablespoons butter
3/4 cup flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
kosher salt

Pulse first 4 ingredients together in a food processor until it forms a ball.
Place the ball between 2 sheets of wax paper and roll out until it is 1/8" thick.
Cut dough into small squares.
Poke a hole in the center of each cracker using a toothpick.
Transfer to a parchment lined baking sheet approx 1/2" apart.
Sprinkle with kosher salt.

Bake at 350ยบF for 8-12 minutes until lightly browned. (Watch carefully because they turn brown quickly at the end.)
Cool on the baking sheet and store in an airtight container.

Original recipe can be found here: Cooking ala Mel.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I love reading and responding to each one!