Thursday, August 9, 2012

Lemon Crepes {recipe}

Growing up I looked forward to Christmas morning when we had Swedish Pancakes (crepes) for breakfast.  My mom made a huge batch and we topped them with butter, brown sugar, powdered sugar, sour cream, and lemon juice.  We rolled them up like taquitos, gobbled them up and then went into a sugar coma . . .  Yum yum.
My kids have a love for Swedish Pancakes now too, and I serve them occasionally (but I DO try to limit the amount of sugar we add).  Crepes in and of themselves are pretty healthy too (that is IF you just were to top them with fresh fruit).  There's not a lot of sugar, and it has milk and eggs in it - both (protein) items that Dylan doesn't really want for breakfast.
My mom's recipe (which is the best and super yummy) calls for Bisquick and I do not like buying it.  It's expensive, especially since I like to buy the "heart healthy" version.  So when I came across this recipe in Parents Magazine, I was intrigued and decided to give it a shot.

{via}
I would have posted a picture of my crepes, but mine don't turn out as pretty as the picture, so let's just pretend I made and photographed those - mkay?!

I have made this recipe twice now, the first time following the recipe using the cinnamon.  They were good, but then Dylan suggested putting the lemon juice INTO the crepes.  Great thought!  We omitted the cinnamon and added lemon juice and they were PERFECT.  I will used this recipe from now on IF I don't have Bisquick on hand (mom's still is best!).

Lemon Crepes
Adapted from Parents Magazine
1 cup fat-free milk
3 eggs
1 cup all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1/4 teaspoon salt

Wisk ingredients together.  Heat a non-stick griddle pan over medium heat and spray with non-stick cooking spray.  Pour 1/3 cup of the batter onto the heated griddle pan and swirl around until it is a thin layer.  Cook until the bottom is lightly browned (about 1-2 minutes).  Flip and cook again until lightly browned (about 1 minute).  Now your ready to top it and roll them or fold them!

Some topping suggestions:
butter (it doesn't need it, but that is how mom did it!)
powdered sugar
brown sugar
(more) lemon juice
light sour cream
sliced bananas
sliced strawberries
fresh berries
shredded coconut
fruit preserves
whipped cream
Nutella
Biscoff Spread

Really, your options are endless!  What do you eat on your crepes?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I love reading and responding to each one!