Tuesday, July 30, 2013

J's Mac & Cheese {recipe}


If you have been reading my "What I Ate . . ." posts for any length of time, you will know that J's Mac & Cheese is a dinner staple for our family.
We all love it.
So I thought I would share the recipe.
My sister, Jeannine {Hi J!}, got the recipe while watching television years ago.
An actress from The Cosby Show {great show!} was having her baby shower and a restaurant in LA made this for her shower.
Here's the original recipe:
This recipe is AWESOME just the way it is.  But I have made a couple of changes to how I regularly make it.
1.  I add 1/2  TEASPOON of cayenne pepper instead of a pinch.
{Yes, I discovered this by mistake and MAN was it a great mistake!}
It IS a little spicy this way, so you may want to put in a little less.
2.  I use fat free milk and light sour cream.  {I try to save as many calories as I can!}
3.  Once I wisk in the milk, I simmer it, stirring occasionally for 10-15 minutes.
4.  I omit the bread crumbs and baking part.  Serving it once you add in the sour cream and cheese leaves it nice and creamy.  If I were to serve this as a side dish, THEN I would add the bread crumbs and bake it.

Ummm . . .  I am craving this now!  Hope you enjoy it as much as we do!
  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I love reading and responding to each one!